Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sam's Response


Jarrad often tells me music factoids when we work at the bar together.
Today I went and checked out his art and he gave me another factoid. Apparently the Led Zeppelin song ‘Houses of the Holy’ isn’t from the album Houses of the Holy, as I’d always assumed, but is actually from Physical Graffiti which was recorded two years after. Now this is hardly one of his most interesting factoids – like the time he mentioned he often plays basketball with one of the Architecture in Helsinki guys – but it’s a factoid nonetheless. I only mention it because ASHTRA YAHOUSE II pays homage to the Physical Graffiti album sleeve. It looks kind of like the sleeve, only it’s in the shape of a now demolished Kodak building and is constructed entirely from slab boxes discarded from the bar where we work. That and the pop culture images in the Led Zeppelin version have been replaced with images relevant to Jarrad’s memory. It got me thinking that if patrons create cardboard waste that is then repurposed for Jarrad’s art while listening to Led Zeppelin through the bar speakers then they’re kind of simultaneously drinking and hearing fractions of Jarrad’s art without even knowing it. That kind of circularity makes me happy. Like how for a moment in ASHTRA YAHOUSE I you can see the Architecture in Helsinki guy playing basketball. Or how Jarrad’s grandfather was a bricky for the original Kodak building and now Jarrad’s rebuilt it on a smaller scale. Or how one of the photos embedded in the piece happened to spark a happy memory of my own. I never got to see the original Kodak building; it existed in a public space that means nothing to me. But connections are everywhere if you look for them.

Sam West

No comments:

Post a Comment