Friday, October 24, 2014

#crategate


It all began with a message from my Sydney friend Vyvyan Hammond... Clover Moore had just announced her $9 million Public Art Plan for Sydney's Central Business District, "including a 50m high ‘cloud’ and a giant milk crate"


Moore had posted it on her Instagram account whereupon Vyvyan (@vyvyanhammond) tagged Yours truly (@instagramparsons)...



@fooshstagram Nailed it. Tacky indeed. How could City of Sydney's City Centre Public Art Evaluation panelist Janet Laurence *inhales* have overlooked my submission to the McClelland Sculpture Prize in 2005?
@rosalina__ Awful! Exactly how I felt Rosalina. Curatorial Advisor Barbara Flynn is quoted as saying ''[The panel] are all highly respected and renowned in their field''... OK. So, how could this Super Panel have missed my entry into Australia's richest prize for public sculpture?
@sforsunny Obvs...
@scucow My first thought too! "Robbed!" being the second (also my middle name).
@olivertannerart OH&S - Very Important. No one was hurt during the 18 months 'Court' was at McClelland Sculpture Park. Will there be a Beyond Blue volunteer at the base of Armanious' Cathedral.. *ahem* Pavilion?
@pidgeonfeather Why Thank You! Oh, hang on...





Sydney artist Hany Armanious' response to the similarities? ''I've never heard of him. I've never seen his work. End of story". He also posits that the works are "worlds apart" and that 'Court' is a ''plywood cubbyhouse; mine is a cathedral''...

No comments:

Post a Comment